TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Recommended paired devices
- Before troubleshooting
- Bike settings
- Still not working
StagesBike will not show up in the pairing list in Zwift running on a PC or Mac laptop or desktop computer. For mobile apps, please see StagesBike not connecting to Zwift mobile app.
Recommended paired devices
At the minimum, your StagesBike needs to be paired to Zwift as a controllable in order to function correctly. For the best performance in Zwift, Stages recommends you pair the bike and power meters as follows:
Any time the StagesBike does not appear as one or any of these devices, there are a few things you can check to assist with pairing. If your StagesBike is not showing up in the Controllable list as a device but shows up in the Power and Cadence source as a device, try selecting it as the Power and Cadence source first. Then select it as Controllable and switch the Power and Cadence source over to the Left meter.
Before getting into the troubleshooting steps, make sure the following apply to you:
- StagesBike can be paired to using the Stages Cycling app and firmware is up to date.
- StagesBike shows power in the manager data tab (if not, see Power not showing up in connected application).
- StagesBike resistance can be controlled using the buttons or brake levers.
- Bluetooth is enabled on the device you are using to run the Zwift app or you have an ANT+ USB stick plugged into your computer using to run Zwift.
Each of the following sections describes steps to take to resolve the issue with Zwift. We recommend that you connect to the StagesBike as the Controllable source, with the Left power meter being selected as Power and Cadence.
From the pairing screen, you should see 3 devices available: the bike, the left power meter, and the right power meter.
NOTE: Never pair to the right power meter; it will only send half power.
If you do not see your left power meter, use the Stages Cycling app to check that its firmware is up to date (at leastfirmware). To check the firmware just add your StagesBike's left power meter to the Devices tab. If you do not see the power meter in the Stages Cycling app as a Device when you try to add it or connect to it, unplug the bike and try again. If still not visible, replace the CR2032 battery in the power meter.
Reset Bluetooth and restart Zwift
Zwift also recommends you do the following at the start of any pairing issue:
- Turn off BLE on your device and then turn it back on again.
- Restart Zwift and try pairing again.
If you still do not see the StagesBike #### in the list of devices in Zwift, move on to the next section.
Verify Zwift pairing on your mobile device
- Download the Zwift app for Android or iOS.
- Log in to your Zwift account.
- Use the pairing screen to pair to the StagesBike #### for the Controllable source, and Left power meter for Power and Cadence.
If you can connect to Zwift on a mobile device, you may want to try the Zwift Companion app, which allows you to use the desktop app while pairing your sensors through your mobile device. If this does not help, skip the next section for more StagesBike troubleshooting tips.
Try using the Zwift Companion app
The Zwift desktop application utilizes your computer's internal Bluetooth connection (or an external ANT+ or Bluetooth dongle) to connect to your sensors. Due to various possible hardware and software compatibility bugs, it may not always correctly connect to your sensors, including the StagesBike. Download and install the Zwift Companion app as an alternate method of connecting your StagesBike if you encounter issues pairing directly through your computer.
- On your phone, download the Zwift Companion app in the Google Play Store or iOS app store.
- Open the Zwift Companion app on your phone and log in to your Zwift account (make sure your phone is connected to the internet).
- Open the Zwift app, click on the settings icon in the top right corner of the Paired devices dialogue, and select Use Zwift Companion.
- The Zwift app will now use the mobile device's Bluetooth connection to search for the StagesBike.
- For additional help, check out Zwift's article: Using the Zwift Companion App.
Stages recommends setting Pair with Bluetooth to Enabled using the Stages Cycling app, as long as the power meter firmware is onor newer. If the power meter is on older firmware, it will not show up in the Zwift application when paired to the bike via Bluetooth.
Power cycle the StagesBike
Unplug the power connector from the bottom of the bike.
Still not working
Here are a few more things to check before determining you may have an issue that needs a support ticket to resolve.
Reset user settings on StagesBike
You can reset the bike settings, which are always saved in the Stages Cycling app and sent back to the bike upon connection to the app, by following these steps:
- Disconnect all apps from the StagesBike (disabling Bluetooth is the best way to make sure this is the case).
- Press and hold the two (2) auxiliary buttons on the shift hoods at the same time for 6 seconds.
- Power cycle the bike again.
- Retry searching for the bike with the PC or Mac.
Re-program firmware to the StagesBike
You can set the StagesBike to a mode that will allow updating the firmware again:
- Delete the bike from your Stages Cycling app by tapping the trash can icon on the settings page for the smart bike.
- Unplug the power cable from the StagesBike.
- Press and hold the top left shift button.
- While holding, plug in the bike, release the shift button after a few seconds of the bike being plugged in.
- The bike will power on and advertise as StagesBike DFU.
- Use the Stages Cycling app to pair to the bike the same way you would a new bike. Select the option that says StagesBike DFU:
- Tapping on this device will prompt an update. Select Update.
- The app will load the latest firmware onto the StagesBike. Following the update, try to pair to the bike again.
If you still cannot connect to the StagesBike, please submit a new ticket.