TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Before troubleshooting
- Power meter check
- StagesBike check
- StagesBike power data is not showing in the Link App control page.
- StagesBike power data does not show up in Zwift or other applications.
The StagesBike receives power data from the left and right power meters installed on the cranks using a wireless connection. This article will walk you through how to make sure the power meters are working properly and check that the StagesBike is correctly programmed.
First, let's check that both of your power meters are awake and transmitting data; then we will make sure your StagesBike is configured correctly so it can connect to them.
Power meter check
Let's make sure your power meters are functioning as expected using the steps below:
- Download the Stages Power App
- Check to make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your phone
- Open the Stages Power app to the Bluetooth scanner page. You should see at least the StagesBike displayed:
- Spin the cranks on the StagesBike backwards a few times and wait for them to display in the app (can take up to 30 seconds):
- If only one (or none) of power meters show up, skip to the Power meters do not appear in search list section.
- If both power meters show up:
a. Tap both power meters and then Connect.
b. Wait for the app to connect to both meters, which should look like this:
- Tap the Tools button and make sure the PCB Orientation is 4:5 (as pictured below):
- If your PCB orientation does not match the settings above, submit a new support ticket.
- If the PCB orientation is correct, your power meters are functioning as expected. Move on to the StagesBike check section.
Power meters do not appear in search list
If your power meters never appear in the search list on the Stages Power app, it's possible the power meters have a dead battery or need to be reset, please follow these steps:
- Remove the battery from each power meter for 5 seconds.
- For instructions on how to do this, see removing the pull tab. Remember to remove the battery for 5 seconds before replacing the battery door.
- Use the Stages Power app to check for the power meters once more (see Power meter check above).
- If the power meters still do not show up in the Stages Power app, it is likely the batteries are dead and need to be replaced.
- If new batteries do not resolve the issue, remove them again. This time, install the batteries upside down for 1 second, then pull them out and install correctly to reset the power meter. Use the Stages Power app to search for the power meters again.
- If this does not resolve your issue, please submit a new ticket.
Let's now make sure the correct power meters are programmed into your StagesBike.
Pair to StagesBike in Stages Link app
- Open the Stages Link app (download links below).
- From the app store, install any available updates for Stages Link. We are constantly improving the app, so please install any available updates before moving forward.
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled in your phone settings.
- Open the app and navigate to the Device manager page using the sidebar menu. Select the StagesBike that you want to pair to from the MY DEVICES list:
- If the StagesBike is not in the list of devices, use the (+) button in the top right corner to search for new devices and follow the steps below to pair to the bike:
a. Select StagesBike.
b. Select the bike from the list.
c. The app will check and update firmware if needed.
d. Create a virtual setup.
- Make sure the StagesBike is connected:
- Disconnected (control page greyed out)
- Connected (control page functioning)
Do a quick test. After the Link App connects to the StagesBike (as pictured above), get on the StagesBike and start pedaling.
- Pedal for about a minute. You do not need to add resistance, but can use the shift buttons if you would like. Look for power data to appear in the control page; even soft pedaling should show power.
- If you see power now, the issue is resolved. The problem was with your power meters and was fixed in the Power meter check section.
If you do not see power in the previous test, follow these steps to configure the left and right power meters programmed to the bike.
Configure StagesBike power meters
- Tap the settings icon in the top right of the page to access the StagesBike settings page:
- Select Manage crank arms from the Power meters menu:
- Verify that the ANT ID for both the left and right power meters match the ANT IDs of the power meters on your StagesBike. The ANT ID is a 5-digit number that can be found on the back of the crank arm and looks like this:
- If these ANT ID's match, and the Power meter check section was completed correctly, the StagesBike will automatically find the power meters as long as they are not connected to anything via Bluetooth.
- Make sure there are no existing Bluetooth connections to the power meters.
- Power cycle the bike (remove the power connection from the bike, not the wall, to ensure a proper power cycle―the power brick takes time to discharge) and pedal it for 1 minute after power cycle.
- If no power displays, please continue to the next section.
- If these ANT ID's do not match, tap Change left power meter or Change right power meter to update the power meters paired to the device.
No power displayed in the Link app control page after all checks
This means the power meters likely need to be paired to the StagesBike again. Please follow the steps in Pair replacement power meter to StagesBike SB20