TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Before troubleshooting
- Power meter check
- StagesBike check
- StagesBike power data is not showing on the Stages Cycling app Data tab.
- StagesBike power data does not show up in Zwift or other applications.
The StagesBike receives power data from the left and right power meters installed on the cranks using a wireless connection. This article will walk you through how to make sure the power meters are working properly and check that the StagesBike is programmed correctly.
Make sure your bike firmware is up to date (check the latest update release notes here).
Check that both of your power meters are awake and transmitting data, then make sure your StagesBike is configured correctly so it can connect to them. Ensure that the power meters are not paired to the StagesBike via Bluetooth prior to the next step.
Power meter check
Make sure your power meters are functioning as expected using the steps below:
- Open the Stages Cycling app and go to the Devices page.
- Select Add Device, then select the Power meter option.
- Spin the crank arms several times to wake up the power meters. Two power meters from your SB20 should appear on the list. Select one and connect.
- Once connected, select Advanced.
- Confirm that the Crank position is set correctly as LEFT or RIGHT. Confirm that the Device type is set to SMART.
- Check that the power meter firmware is up to date. If not, perform a firmware update now.
- Repeat the process for the other power meter to check crank position, device type, and firmware for the other power meter.
- If either your crank position or device type is incorrect, submit a new support ticket.
- If the crank position and bike type are correct, your power meters are functioning as expected. Move on to the StagesBike check section.
Power meters do not appear in the search list
If your power meters do not show as a device to connect within the Add Devices list, it's possible the power meters have a dead battery or need to be reset, please follow these steps:
- Remove the battery from each power meter for 5 seconds.
- For instructions on how to do this, see removing the pull tab. Remember to remove the battery for 5 seconds before replacing the battery door.
- Use the Stages Cycling app to check for the power meters once more (see Power meter check above).
- If the power meters still do not show up in the Stages Cycling app, it is likely the batteries are dead and need to be replaced.
- If new batteries do not resolve the issue, remove them again. This time, use the edge of the battery to connect the power meter's terminals for a few seconds, then install them correctly to reset the power meter.
- Use the Stages Cycling app to search for the power meters again.
- If discoverable, connect to them and perform a zero reset.
- If it is still not discoverable or does not resolve your issue, please submit a new ticket.
Make sure the correct power meters are paired to your StagesBike.
Connect to your StagesBike in the Stages Cycling app
- Open the Stages Cycling app and go to Devices.
- Select your StagesBike.
- If the StagesBike is not in the list of devices, select the Add Device option in the bottom right corner to search for new devices and follow the steps below to pair to the bike
a. Select StagesBike.
b. Select your bike from the list.
c. The app will check and update firmware if needed.
d. Create a setup.
- Make sure the StagesBike is connected:
Do a quick test. After the Stages Cycling app connects to the StagesBike (as pictured above), get on the StagesBike and start pedaling.
- Pedal for about a minute. You do not need to add resistance but can use the shift buttons if you would like. Look for power data to appear on the data tab; even soft-pedaling should show power.
- If you see power now, the issue is resolved. The problem was with your power meters and was fixed in the Power meter check section.
If you do not see power in the previous test, follow these steps to configure the left and right power meters programmed to the bike.
Configure StagesBike power meters
- Tap the Power meters tab.
- Tap on the power meter ANT IDs to open the ANT ID dialogue box.
- Verify that the ANT ID for both the left and right power meters match the ANT IDs of the power meters on your StagesBike. The ANT ID is a 5-digit number that can be found on the back of the crank arm.
- If these ANT IDs match and the Power meter check section was completed correctly, the StagesBike will automatically find the power meters as long as they are not connected to anything via Bluetooth.
- Make sure there are no existing Bluetooth connections to the power meters.
- Power cycle the bike (remove the power connection from the bike, not the wall, to ensure a proper power cycle―the power brick takes time to discharge) and pedal it for 1 minute after the power cycle.
- If no power displays, please continue to the next section.
- If these ANT IDs do not match, type in the correct ANT IDs to the dialogue box and hit OK.
- Return to the Data tab and pedal the bike to confirm if power and cadence are shown.
No power is displayed in the Data tab after all checks
Please follow the steps in Pair replacement power meter to StagesBike SB20.